Health Regulatory and Compliance
- We find the world of health care to be heavily regulated, and to fully grasp the context of the regulatory environment, it is helpful to have a good comprehension of the relationship between regulations and laws. Changes in the standards of care or mechanisms for payment for services result in changes in regulations. In this assignment, you will explore key health care laws while considering current health care trends, how laws are made, and what role you feel government should play in health care.Complete the Week 1 Assignment – Regulatory and Compliance Worksheet:
Cite a minimum of 2 reputable references used to complete your responses and chart. Reputable references include trade or industry publications; government or agency websites; scholarly works; your textbook, Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration; or other sources of similar quality.
Health Care Laws
- The health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
- Privacy Act of 1974
- Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA)—pertains to human testing/research
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) 1988
- False Claims Act
- Anti-Kickback Statute
- Physician Self-Referral (Stark Law)
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA)
- SAMHSA: Laws, Regulations, and Guidelines pertaining to mental health and substance abuse
- Breach Notification Rule (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Security Rule
Select 2 health care laws from the list.
Complete the following table using your selected health care laws:
|Identify your selected health care law.
||Identify a regulatory or compliance requirement mandated by the health care law.
||Explain what impact the health care law identified has on health care trends (45 to 90 words).
Write a 50- to 150-word response to each of the following questions. Be clear and concise, use complete sentences, and use your own words.
How are health care laws created?
Should the health care industry be regulated? Explain your answer.
Copyright© 2019 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.