HHG: Unit Two Summative: Examining the Impacts of Maternal
Your task is to research a MATERNAL HEALTH ISSUE using a variety of resources. ● Use the topics below to help you narrow
your focus. ● You should ultimately choose ONE
maternal health issue to do your research on.
● You MUST use at least THREE DIFFERENT resources in your assignment, and provide an accurate References page.
Once you have compiled your research, you should organize your information into a multimedia presentation (Google Slides, Google Drawings, Google Doc, poster, Prezi, video recording, etc) that is meant to comprehensively inform the readers about the maternal health issue. Consider the following examples:
1. An educational poster that may be found at a doctor’s clinic, Women’s shelter, Community Health Center, or any other appropriate public place.
2. An educational pamphlet that may be found at a doctor’s clinic, Women’s shelter, Community Health Center, or any other appropriate public place.
3. A public service announcement, completed in Google Slides or video formatting that may be found playing at a doctor’s clinic, Women’s shelter, Community Health Center, or any other appropriate public place.
o A striking image or images that relate directly to your topic AND
help to capture your audience’s attention. o A strong heading that encapsulates your topic o Highlighted information about your topic that is meant to inform the audience about the issue. (*Do not overwhelm your pamphlet with too much written information, but instead choose very poignant information to include. If you are choosing a power point, more written information can be provided.). *Consider the types of information that you might find on health related like websites like the Mayo Clinic.
o Contact information, should the reader wish to seek more information. (*Contact a local organization, the local health clinic, family doctors, hospitals…)
o A SEPARATE, detailed References page must be included, documenting all your sources using APA formatting.
Potential Topics: How does the mother’s use of the following topics impact the fetus or infant?
1. Substance Abuse (Choose ONE: Alcohol, Prescription medication, Illegal drugs OR smoking)
2. Sexually Transmitted Diseases (Choose ONE)
3. Poor nutrition 4. Bottle feeding 5. Caffeine intake
6. Hypertension 7. AIDS 8. Mother’s Age 9. Maternal Stress 10.Homelessness 11.Living with Domestic
Violence 12.Maternal Illness or Disease
1. What is the illness/issue? Signs and symptoms? Causes? 2. What are the effects on the mother? 3. What are the effects on the fetus / infant? (Consider brain
development as well as future cognitive, social, and physical development)
4. What can be done to prevent and treat the issue, and what resources are currently available?
1. Have I chosen ONE Maternal Health Issue to cover? 2. Have I done research with AT LEAST THREE different sources to
gather my information? 3. Have I compiled my information in ONE of the following formats:
(educational poster, pamphlet, OR PSA)? 4. Do I have at least ONE striking image that represents the topic I have
chosen? 5. Do I have a strong headline that encapsulates my topic? 6. Did I highlight the information in a way that presents the most
important information about the topic only? 7. Have I provided some form of contact information for my readers to
look further into the resources? 8. Does my work answer the 3 guiding questions listed above? 9. Do I have a separate References page with all my sources, using APA
style of formatting? **A Title page is NOT required for this assignment.
K/U: /10 C: /10 A: /10
Knowledge and Understanding
The assignment is formatted via a poster, pamphlet or public service announcement. A maternal health issue is the focus of the assignment. The assignment has a clear, catchy title to draw the reader’s interest. The assignment has at least one catchy image that directly relates to the topic.
The overall message of the assignment is clear and strong – the message has a purpose. The assignment is free of all spelling errors The assignment is free of all grammatical errors At least three sources have been used to research this assignment
The assignment is formatted in a way that is clear and easily readable. The maternal health issue is adequately covered, highlighting the key questions:
Effects on the mother Effects on the infant/fetus (cog., soc., phys. Development) Prevention/Treatment options and resources available
Contact information is clearly evident for the reader to find further information. A References page is provided using APA formatting.