Developing A Strategic Communication Plan
- Week 3 Assignment – Developing a Strategic Communication Plan
You have been assigned by the chief of police to create and implement a strategic communication plan to respond to the community following a high-profile use of force event by an officer with your department. While the use of force appears to have been legally justified and within department policy, there is still a great deal of negative reaction from the public.
Review the steps for developing a strategic communication plan from Chapter 3 of Strategic Communication Practices: A Toolkit for Police Executives.
Using the specific steps outlined, write a 2–3 page communication plan in which you:
- Outline the approach that you would use to research and interpret the situational analysis for your hometown.
- Determine the main goals and objectives of your proposed communication plan.
- Predict the target group of your communication plan.
- Propose the general communication strategies of your proposed plan.
- Provide a rationale for your response.
- Develop the first four main steps of your local police department’s strategic communication plan.
- Use two credible, relevant, and appropriate sources to support your writing. Cite each source listed on your source page at least once within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Review principles and strategies of community- and problem-oriented policing.