Using the Codification to
1. Explain the role of the allowance for credit losses. Does this directly reduce the reported?
value of an entity’s receivables?
2. Should the allowance be determined on an individual asset or on a pool basis? Explain.
3. What are some of the methods that an entity may use to measure its allowance for credit
4. Over what period (time horizon) should expected losses for an asset be considered?
1. How frequently should entities remeasure the allowance for credit losses?
2. Describe the journal entry that would be required to increase an existing allowance account
balance, and cite the paragraph supporting your response.
3. What is a write-off of a financial asset, and how does the accounting for this event differ from
the accounting for an allowance account adjustment?
Now consider this scenario. Assume a company maintains an accounts receivable aging schedule
and historical data showing that, on average, 7% of its receivables that are 1-30 days past
due will not be collected. The company believes the economy has improved relative to its historical
information and that it should reduce this expected loss rate by 5%.
4. Using the preceding excerpts from ASC 326-20, comment on whether a reduction to the
company’s expected loss percentage may be appropriate.
3. When should an investor, applying the “equity method” of accounting for an investment, recognize equity
method income-in the period the investee reports earnings, or in the period the investee declares a dividend?
4. Is measurement guidance (in Sections 30 or 35 of the applicable topic) available regarding employer obligations
for compensated employee absences (such as vacation accruals)? If not, think: Where else might a researcher
look for such measurement guidance within this topic?
12. Under Topic 835-20 (Capitalization of Interest), what amount of interest may initially be capitalized as part of
the initial investment in an asset, for certain qualifying assets? How should a company determine its “capitalization
rate” for capitalizing interest?
13. a. What is a valuation allowance as this term relates to income tax accounting?
b. What guidance within ASC 740-10 requires that entities consider applying a valuation allowance to
deferred tax assets?
c. What are some considerations relevant in determining whether a valuation allowance is required?
Cheese Ahead Frankie’s Homemade Cheese Shop (“Frankie’s”) signed an advertising agreement with Simmons
Boards (“Owner”) for billboard advertising rights along Route 33 in the town of Hampton. Frankie’s has the right
to select and display advertising copy on billboard panels numbered IO and 12 (panel numbers correspond to designated
billboard locations) for a 3-year period from Jan. I, 20X I, to Dec. 31 , 20X3. In consideration for these rights,
Frankie’s agrees to pay $10,000 in year 1, $12,000 in year 2, and $13,000 in year 3. Assume that Frankie’s is required
to pay the annual fee on Jan. I of each contract year. Assuming Frankie’s incremental borrowing rate is 5%, what are
the entries Frankie should record at inception of the contract, then at the end of years 1, 2, and 3?